Have you ever wondered why your mom’s homemade chicken soup tasted so delicious? I hate to break it to ya, but love wasn’t the ~only~ reason it tasted so good. It was FROM SCRATCH.
But, it turns out, amazingly delicious, from-scratch, homestyle chicken soup is actually pretty EASY.
Cook some chicken with some vegetables in water. Then strain it. Now you have THE ONLY TWO THINGS you need to make killer chicken soup: cooked chicken + chicken broth.
Start by getting these ingredients together to cook the chicken and make the broth.
You’ll need some chicken, carrots, onions, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, parsley, salt, celery, peppercorns, and water. Get the full ingredient list at the bottom of this photo step-by-step.
1. First, put everything EXCEPT the chicken in a large pot. Then add the chicken in a single layer, and pour the water in.
Makes 4 to 5 cups shredded chicken and 8 cups chicken broth
2 stalks celery, quartered
1 large carrot, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
5 to 7 fresh parsley sprigs
8 to 10 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
10 to 15 peppercorns
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 ½ to 4 pounds bone-in, chicken pieces, a mixture of dark and light meat 10 cups cold water
2. Bring the whole thing to a boil and then turn it down to a gentle simmer. You’ll want to see some casual bubbles popping up here and there, but not a ton of bubbles. Skim off any fat from the top of the pot and discard.
3. Start checking the chicken around 25 minutes. It’s done when you can pull the meat apart easily using two forks. Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, discarding the skin.
4. Now it’s time to strain that broth — aka liquid gold. This is SO much better than anything you can buy at the store.
(To avoid painful splashing and any burns, scoop out the big chunks first and then pour the liquid over top.)
5. You should have about 8 cups of chicken stock and 4 to 5 cups of shredded chicken.
Now that you have that AMAZING broth, you can make chicken noodle soup in MINUTES.
You’ll need these ingredients to make the soup.
In addition to the stock and chicken, you’ll need egg noodles, parsley, celery, carrots, olive oil, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and parmesan.
Serves 4 to 6
¼ cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 large carrots, sliced
4 stalks celery, chopped
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups chicken broth (see recipe above)
8 ounces egg noodles
4 to 5 cups coarsely shredded chicken (see recipe above)
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Parmesan, for serving
6. Start by heating the olive oil, then add the onions, carrot, and celery, and season with salt and pepper.
7. Add the garlic and sauté until it’s fragrant, one minute more.
8. Add the stock and bring it to a boil. Stir in the noodles and cook for 6 minutes.
9. Stir in the chicken and cook until heated through and the noodles are just tender, about two minutes more.
10. Stir in the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. Lots and lots and LOTS.