prep time: 25 minutes
- muffin tin
- 1 prepared pie crust or this recipe
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup granny smith apple, grated (i just threw the peeled, cored apple in the food processor)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- crumble mixture
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (i use king arthur as it is the lightest and best quality i have found)
- roll the pie crust out on a floured surface, about 1/4″ thick. i used parchment paper to measure one of the muffin tin holes, but you could always just cut circles bigger than the hole. cut out circles, and drop them into the tins, pressing the sides around the hole, just as you would a regular pie. dock (use a fork to stab holes around the sides and bottom of the crust) the crust and set aside.
- heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan add the blackberries, grated apple, salt, sugar, cinnamon and flour. cook over medium heat for 4-8 minutes or until thick and bubbly. remove from the heat and allow to cool for a moment.
- while the mixture is cooling, prepare the crumble mixture.
- in a small bowl, add the sugars, cinnamon, salt, butter and flour. use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour/sugar mixture.
- spoon the blackberry mixture into each of the pies. top with a little handful of crumble mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden in color.
- allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, and carefully remove from the pan. enjoy!!
via Oh Sweet Basil